Just a reminder: we cannot guarantee 100% security, especially when students are at home. Locking them into a browser doesn't stop them from using their phones!!
What is Safe Exam Browser
Safe Exam Browser (SEB) opens a web browser window without navigation elements and locks the computer into a kiosk mode, which prevents from switching to other applications or quitting SEB untimely. SEB enables secure exams on unmanaged computers like students' own laptops as well as in managed environments.
What is Kiosk Mode 2.1
Kiosk Mode 2.1 (KM) is a Chromebook app that opens a web browser window without navigation elements and locks the computer into a kiosk mode, which prevents from switching to other applications.
Students do NOT log into their Chromebook. Instead, they launch KM2.1 from the app tray and log in there.
Here is the kicker: Kiosk Mode 2.1 can only be pushed to district managed Chromebooks. It will not work on a student's on Chromebook!!
- SEB/KM offers a secure test environment for Edulastic assessments. Students are prevented from unfairly accessing other browser based resources such as Google or calculators.
- SEB/KM disables the web browser options e.g. start/stop browser, browser menu bar, alt-tab to another window, etc. - it also disables the start menu of the computer along with its submenus such as - Shut down / Undock / Switch user / Log off / Lock / Restart / Sleep / Hibernate.
- It can also be set whether users can quit SEB during the test and if it is required to enter a quit password to do so.
- Right click inside SEB/KM is also disabled. Student can’t use the right click menu.
- SEB/KM detects when it was started in a virtual instead of a native environment and refuses to run.
Installing SEB on student devices
- Download SEB from http://safeexambrowser.org/download_en.html for either Windows or Mac.
- Start the SEB installer (.exe file for windows or .dmg file for Mac) and follow the steps in the installation program.
- If you are installing SEB on student devices, it is recommended that you choose the install folder that is writable only with administrator rights.
- Note: When you use SEB with Edulastic, Edulastic dynamically generates a configuration file. You do NOT need to configure SEB using the configuration tool provided by SEB.
Installing KM2.1 on student devices
Please see this article on how to push KM2.1 to managed Chromebook devices.
Using SEB/KM with Edulastic
The main purpose of SEB/KM is to ensure browser lockdown while students take the assessment. While this ensures test security, it also restricts students to only use Edulastic while taking the assessments e.g. students cannot browse other educational apps while using Edulastic. Thus the use of SEB should be limited to those assessments that need the higher level of security.
Edulastic provides teachers or admins the control to decide when the use of SEB is mandated. Teachers or admins should select “Yes” for advanced option “Require Safe Exam Browser / Kiosk Mode”.
An optional “Quit Password” can also be entered if teachers need a way for student to safely quit SEB midway through the assessment. Students can safely quit SEB once the assessment is submitted. This password is for emergency use only e.g. or some reason, students need to quit the assessment in between. Please do NOT disclose this password to students. If a student needs to quit SEB midway, teachers should type the password on student devices.
- When “Safe Exam Browser/Kiosk Mode” option is set to “Yes”, students will not be able to start the assessment in any other browser except SEB/KM.
- Edulastic recommends that for normal usage, students should be instructed to sign in and click on Edulastic assignments on any other supported browser apart from SEB/KM (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.).
If “Require Safe Exam Browser” option is set to “Yes”, Edulastic will automatically open the assessment in SEB in a new window and automatically navigate the student to the first question of the assessment (provided SEB is installed on the device). Assignments that require SEB will show the SEB logo shown below:
Students can safely quit SEB once they submit the assignment.
We recommend SEB to be used for formal/high stakes assessments. Such assessments should be finished in one sitting. If a student needs to quit SEB midway, teachers should type the quit password on student devices. This should be an exception rather than the norm.